Tips to better forecast and maneuver trends within your industry
Staying up to date in an industry that’s constantly shifting isn’t easy, but being aware of changes as they’re happening can keep you ahead of the curve. Here’s our advice to help you stay in-the-know on tech, news, and industry trends.
- Magazines. These are very old-fashioned but still relevant. Magazines contain quality information and provide provocative in-depth analysis. You don’t have to carry around paper magazines anymore. Subscribe to magazines that have electronic versions, and read them on your e-reader or tablet.
- Blogs. Blogs are one of the best sources of current and brand-new information, and there are plenty of them to read. Blogs discuss the latest trends, the latest news, what works, what doesn’t, and where things are going. Blogs come in many different forms and formats, so find the ones that best fit your needs and industry.
- Newspapers and news sites. Although newspapers and news sites are sometimes overly simplistic, and journalists sometimes cover industries they’re not knowledgeable in, beat reporters can spot industry trends as well as anyone.
- Podcasts. Think of a podcast as a radio show on demand. The best feature of a podcast is that you can listen to it at your leisure. You can listen to them in the car, at the gym, or at your desk. You can pause them to answer the phone, and the best part is that you are not beholden to their broadcast schedule. There are many applications, often referred to as podcatchers, on all platforms that automatically download the podcasts of your choice through feeds.
- Network. Discussing your industry face-to-face with colleagues can be particularly enlightening. Get out to conferences or local events, and sign up for training. This is an easy way to keep up-to-date with what’s happening.
Ready to up your trends forecasting game? Give this HBR article a read, which explores the many trends forecasting techniques that have become widely popular.